Sunday 17 June 2012

Am I a Hypocrite?

I find it somewhat ironic that my project, which laments the influence of media, is published online. As much as I have gone on about how media can be dangerous and manipulative, I will say that the internet is a truly amazing place. Over the course of my blogging experience, I have been inspired by the interaction I've had with other bloggers. The opinions and questions in the comment section have been eye opening and thought provoking.

I believe that media should be used as a tool, not a weapon. Media has infinite potential. The notion of positive conscious media working to unite the global community excites me. I hope that reflection upon the past (i.e. the coverage on 9/11) will spark a discussion on the role of media in our lives and the ways in which we can begin using media in a more positive fashion. While technology presents challenges, it also presents opportunities. I am skeptical, curious, excited and intrigued by the evolution of media today. Websites like Wikileaks are changing the way millions of people view the world and global issues. As time goes on, it will be interesting to see what the results and possible ramifications of this sort of media are. Writing the blog helped me find my voice in this often overwhelming place called cyberspace. I am grateful to anyone who has taken the time to read my sometimes long-winded musings about such a complicated social justice issue. This project has opened my eyes to a world of possibilities, both in the physical and virtual world. Even if only in small ways, I hope that readers have had a similar experience with my blog. The blog has allowed me to "show" and not "tell" my project to my peers. Instead, it has posed questions and opened discussions which will hopefully continue to develop long after I have retired my fast-typing fingers from the keyboard. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma,
    I really appreciate how you present your own spin on such complex issues. You have a way of communicating that is honest and insightful. Clearly you have a strong sense of self, and this shows through in your writing - you are never just presenting information, you show us how it impacts you and what you think. I hope you continue blogging about whatever interests you - the blogging world could use you!

    ReplyDelete